The Netherlands Research School for Literary Studies (OSL) is the national research network for literary theory, comparative and (trans)national literatures, and interdisciplinary approaches to literature in The Netherlands. OSL provides high standard and cutting-edge academic education for ReMA students and PhD candidates in these fields and serves as a forum for the exchange of research ideas, network contacts and intellectual inspiration for literary scholars in The Netherlands and beyond.
It is the ambition of OSL to
- provide a high standard and cutting-edge academic education in literary studies for PhD researchers and ReMA students
- provide an intellectual and academic forum for the discussion of the state of the art of literary studies, including its rich traditions in the Netherlands and elsewhere; and
- offer researchers and staff members a platform for the exchange of expertise and ideas and opportunities for building academic networks
OSL strives to be the intellectual and academic forum for the discussion, advancement and reflection of the state(s) of the art of literary studies in The Netherlands, including its rich traditions here and elsewhere. We encourage the study of literature, understood as language art and knowledge in all its forms, in its historical and current manifestations and dynamics, from a variety of perspectives. The research of OSL members focuses on modern and contemporary literature. Focal points include:
- Materiality and Mediality of Literature
- Narrative, Reading and Cognition
- Empirical and Digital Approaches
- Globalization and Post-colonialism
- Eco-Criticism and Environmental Humanities
- Literature, Knowledge and Discourse
- Sociological Approaches
- Literature and Law
- Educational Innovation
The different perspectives converge in the engagement with literature as a specific object of study and form of knowledge that requires expert and detailed study and offers valuable insight into cultural, social and cognitive processes.
Executive Team. The OSL Executive Team consists of Academic Director Prof. dr. Pablo Valdivia, Programme Director Dr. Alberto Godioli , Office Manager Chantal Olijerhoek and Social Media Manager Melissa Luypaers.
School Board. The OSL School Board is formed by representatives of all universities participating in the OSL. The members of the School Board are:
- Prof. Dr. Maria Boletsi (Leiden University / University of Amsterdam) (Chair)
- Prof. Dr. Marguérite Corporaal (Radboud University)
- Dr. Eric Hoekstra (Fryske Akademy)
- Dr. Ted Laros (Open University)
- Prof. Dr. Odile Heynders (Tilburg University)
- Dr. Miriam Meissner (Maastricht University)
- Prof. Dr. Ann Rigney (Utrecht University)
- Dr. Frans Willem Korsten (Leiden University)
- Prof. Dr. Margriet van der Waal (University of Groningen/ University of Amsterdam)
- Clara Vlessing (PhD representative, Utrecht University)
- Kaspar Hendrichs (ReMA representative, Leiden University)
OSL is represented at ten Dutch universities: the University of Groningen (RUG, currently chairing the network), University of Amsterdam (UvA), Utrecht University (UU), Free University Amsterdam (VU), Leiden University (UL), Radboud University Nijmegen (RUN), Tilburg University (UvT), Maastricht University (UM), Fryske Akademy (FA), and Open University (OU).
Oude Kijk in ‘t Jatstraat 26
9712 EK Groningen
tel. +31 50 363 57 10